Chicken Broth

Hello. I pressure canned some chicken broth following the Presto guidelines- 20 min for pints at 15 lbs for my altitude. I used broth made with chicken bones/skin/meat and onion and carrot scraps. I did not clarify it before canning, just strained it through a fine mesh strainer. Now there is a gelatinous disc of sediment in the bottom of the jars. I don't mind the little bits of sediment, but does the gelatinous nature of it mean I did something wrong? Does adding vegetables when originally cooking the broth alter the processing time? There were NO chunks, just broth and some sediment. I always thought nothing was supposed to gel after being pressure processed.

Geauga County Ohio food safety food preparation

Did you allow the broth to cool after cooking and discard excess fat before reheating and putting into jars?

Yes, but I'm sure there was still some left in there.

I presume you used a weighed gauge and not a dialed gauge. If you used a dial gauge and have not had it checked in the last year your dial could be off making the time you processed incorrect. If you used a weighted gauge you used the correct time and pressure for canning the chicken broth, and it should be safe to use provided the jars sealed correctly. According to USDA materials sediment in a jar can be from minerals in the water or starch in the vegetables with onions possibly causing a yellow sediment in jars. The yellow sediment from onions is a natural occurrence. Since you used onions this could be your cause. Since the broth was strained and no chunks of vegetables were included in the broth the processing time was correct. You did not state whether you added salt to the broth. Using table salt can also cause sediment in the jars due to the fillers in the table salt. Use pure or refined salt. If you do notice any signs of spoilage or if the jars are not properly sealed please do not use and get rid of them.