What is this insect/bug called?

Asked August 22, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT

I regularly find those bugs in my house, taking into consideration it stings very badly and it pretty much hurts!

Outside United States

1 Response

The insect in your photo is a ring-legged earwig, Euborellia annulipes, Order: Derm,aptera, Family: Anisolabididae). Earwigs are a widespread group of insects that are mostly characterized by the pincer-like appendages (cerci) at the end of their body. The ring-legged earwig is found nearly worldwide, probably having moved around the globe in association with humans. They are normally found outdoors in yards and fields under debris, rocks or bark in dry or damp places. They also are known to invade houses, but probably don't take up permanent residence there. This species is a predator, feeding mainly on small soft-bodied insects, but they will also feed on plant matter. Since insects are their primary food source, this is the reason they won't survive long indoors, since there is not much for them to eat. However, during the night when they go wandering looking for food, they can easily slip under doors or around windows or other crevices to enter homes. Earwigs do not sting, but may bite with their jaws, which is said to feel like a painful pinch, and some kinds may be able to give a slight pinch with their pincer-like cerci. Other than that, they are not considered to be harmful to humans or pets. I have included some links below to webpages with more information and photos about this insect.