Exploding watermelon

Asked August 20, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT

I purchased a watermelon at a local grocery store. When I cut into the rind, juice from the melon shot everywhere. It smelled terrible. Is there a risk from the bacteria that squirted all over the kitchen? I cleaned it up as much as possible, but it went in the rug and all over the cabinets.

Knox County Tennessee food safety food preparation watermelons watermelon problem jlk

1 Response

If you feel you have cleaned the food-contact surfaces well, the chances of becoming sick from bacteria in the watermelon would be unlikely. After you have cleaned surfaces, you can make a solution of one tablespoon chlorine bleach (unscented) in one gallon of water and apply it to food-contact surfaces. Just let it air dry after applying. If you can wash your rug in soap and water, that would be fine. If you can't, just clean it the best you can.