I have a Scotch Pine approx 60 feet tall. The lower trunk has numerous holes...

I have a Scotch Pine approx 60 feet tall. The lower trunk has numerous holes in it all around and over the tree. Most, if not all of the branches have bark that appears as paper peeling off, however the needles appear to be fine.

St. Louis County Minnesota tree health pine trees

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to diagnose tree problems without more information. Please go to this University of Minnesota Extension tool called "What's Wrong with my Plant"? http://www.extension.umn.edu/Garden/diagnose/ We are hoping that you will be able to figure out what's going on by matching your tree problems to photos and descriptions of common pine problems.

If you still have questions after reviewing the possibilities, submit your question again, along with some good photos. You will need to examine your pine very closely, including the needles, branches and the tree as a whole. Look at other trees nearby too to see if the problem exists elsewhere in your landscape.

Thank you for contacting Extension.