false dandelions in horse pasture

The pasture my horse is in is full of false dandelion. It wasn't noticeable when the grass was green and before it sent up flower stalks. Now it is obvious. There is so much that I'm not sure he can graze without eating it. He does get fed hay regularly, but I'm still concerned. What is the best way to get rid of it, and how long will my horse need to stay out of the pasture? Thank You, Wendy

Lane County Oregon pastures and forages livestock

Some horses are susceptible to Stringhalt Disease if they eat a large quantity of false dandelion, so I do understand your concern. The Pacific Northwest Weed Control Handbook has an excellent section about broadleaf weed species in pastures. http://pnwhandbooks.org/weed/other-areas/pasture-and-rangeland/small-pastures

2,4-D products are effective on dandelion and false dandelion as is Milestone. Grazing restrictions are mentioned in the above link, but are also listed along with application rate and safety information on the herbicide's label. Herbicide applications should be done when the false dandelion is activitely growing for best results. Waiting until until the fall or even next spring would be ideal. If you decide to use a 2,4-D product please be extra cautious about volitalization due to warm air temperatures and drift causing damage to non-target crops.