How do I save my sweet corn. It was blown over with 40mph winds with rain....

How do I save my sweet corn. It was blown over with 40mph winds with rain. The roots were not out of the soil. It was just stating to tassel.

Lake County Minnesota

This has happened to me more than once... how frustrating. I now anticipate this and run a light line around my patch once the corn is tall enough to fall over and it helps a bit.

The corn will continue to grow and the tops will bend upwards towards the light, even if the main stock is more or less horizontal. This may affect how well the cobs are pollinated, but if you have thick patch the effect will be small. So you should still get some cobbing even with the corn blown over.

You can also, carefully, set the stocks upright and use a light line around the patch to hold them upright. This is fine if you have a small patch in a block, but is not practical if you have long rows.

Thanks for the reply. That idea, line on fence posts, came to me at 6am this morning and will attempt that, as the tassels are just coming out. Next year will take your advice and put the line up. Thanks again.Richard Wolfe

You're very welcome... enjoy the cobs when they ripen (unless you've got raccoons as hungry as the critters around here)!