Little mites on my asparagus??

I have a small raised bed of asparagus. This is its second year. About 2 weeks ago I notice lots (and lots) of little white somethings (they are about the size of a grain of sand) on the bench seat surrounding the raised bed. I washed them off last weekend, and they are back in force, and I also noted that they are in fact all over the plants (photos attached). As they don't move, I'm thinking an egg or larva of some kind but don't really have a clue. There's also an odd smell in the area. Wondering what they are and what I should do (as organically as possible), if anything, to get rid of them. Thank you.

Baltimore County Maryland

The white things in your photos look like shed insect skins. Use a hand lens and see if there are any aphids. We cannot identify the insect from the skins, but one possibility is that there are aphids. First try again washing the asparagus off with a strong stream of water from a hose. If they persist, try insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. If you find the insect and can get a photo and want an identification, send the photo. If trees overhang the asparagus in such a way that insects in a tree might drop shed skins on the asparagus, see if you can identify the insect in the tree. We cannot guess the origin of the odd smell. vw