Resurgence of crab grass

Is it just me or has there been a tremendous and unusual resurgence of crabgrass in Maryland. Particular in Abingdon? Harford County, Maryland. I am pretty good at using Scott's lawn products and I definitely put down their Halts Crabgrass Preventer in Early Spring. I have never had a lawn look this bad with crab grass before. is there a reason or explanation you could provide.\? Is there anything I can do NOW to get rid of this crab grass or do I have to wait until next early Spring? PS I do plan to over seed this Fall. Is that a problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Harford County Maryland

There are herbicides labeled for postemergent crabgrass control available but are only effective on young plants. It is too late to use a post emergent now.
Since crabgrass is a summer annual, the best way to control it is to apply a granular, preemergent crabgrass control product in the spring. Applying crabgrass preventer too early and too much spring rain are reasons why crabgrass can be a problem even though a preemergent was applied. For season long control two applications may be necessary. Make the first application when forsythia is blooming then again about 6 weeks later. Check the label of the product you select for information. Choose a product that does not contain nitrogen fertilizer. Proper mowing height (3 inches) and thickening up your lawn by overseeding in September also helps to reduce crabgrass problems. See our publication on crabgrass http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/non_HGIC_FS/TT-43e%2...