prevelance of "loco weed" species in Grand County Colorado

I HAVE a question about the prevelance of "loco weed" species that may be present in cattle pastures in Grand County, Colorado, specifically near Kremling. As a veterinarian in Utah ,I have recently been involved with three cow calf herds that had leased summer pasture near Kremling. The herds were forced to return home to the Utah ranches early because of high death losses in the calves related to "High mountain disease" symptoms. Necropsies so far have not indicated any infectious disease ( pneumonia). One of the herds has peers pasturing in Wyoming with no similar symptoms. It is my clinical impression that the problem has more components than simple high altitude and am considering toxic plants and or mineral deficiencies as contributing factors. I appreciate any help. Nelson H. Duncan DVM

Duchesne County Utah beef cattle veterinary

I would recommend calling the extension office in Grand County. The livestock and agriculture agents there may have some local information on poisonous plants in the area.

GRAND COUNTY (970) 724-3436

210 11th Street, Extension Halll, Fairgrounds
P.O. Box 475
Kremmling, CO 80459-0475