I Don't Want to Mow My Backyard Hill Anymore

My house is adjacent to a flood zone upon which no construction can take place. The area behind my house and neighbors is wooded. The yard behind my house has the pie shape of baseball field. From the back of the house there is approximately 50' of level land and then it decends to the wooded area about 75' on a 10-15 degree pitch. The hill is about 150 feet from one property line to the other. For years it has been a waste of time. It takes about 1 1/2 or more to cut my entire lawn. If I can eliminate cutting the hill it will save at least 40 minutes x2 each week during the cutting season. I am looking for a cost-effective way to return the hill to some state other than grass what won't require mowing or other care. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Harford County Maryland

You do not say if your hill is full sun or shade. We think, from your description, that it is full sun so we are addressing the question with that assumption.

Your choices are: groundcover or low maintenance fescue. Groundcovers might be slow to establish, expensive and require weeding. You may be happier with a low maintenance fescue. Both hard and sheep fescue do not require mowing more than a couple of times a year--in fact too much mowing damages them. You'll also need to mow as high as you can. No fertilizer. Here is a helpful fact sheet about growing low maintenance fescues--look at the parts about the types of fine fescue: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/non_HGIC_FS/TT-68_Fe...