I just dug my potatoes today and got a very nice harvest. But my gardening...

I just dug my potatoes today and got a very nice harvest. But my gardening season is only half over. I wonder if I can plant a second crop of potatoes this time of year? Also, if I replant some of the same potatoes that I just harvested, will they grow again this year?

Ramsey County Minnesota

It would not be a good idea to plant potatoes in the same place that you just dug potatoes. Things should be rotated in the garden so that you are not planting something from the same family in the same place for 3-4 years. The potatoes might not sprout as well as older potatoes but you could try it although I would think that if they are really nice it might be better to just eat them or store them. You could plant something that would grow quickly and mature when it is cooler like radishes, lettuce or peas. Look for quicker maturing varieties. Here is a link to some info about summer planting for fall harvest. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/planting-vegetables-midsummer-fall-harves...