Horse Treats

I own a small company that makes horse treats headquartered in New Jersey but manufactured in Lancaster County, PA. I am a graduate of Penn State and am hoping you might be able to refer me to a consultant that can help me stabilize my product. Last summer we were experiencing problems with grain mites and sometimes moths in our baked treats, especially in the summer months. I did some research and determined that freezing the ingredients for 96 hours before use would kill the eggs. Unfortunately that is not working. Our ingredients include wheat bran, flour, corn meal, molasses, oats, oatmeal, cranberry juice, flax seed, sugar, salt, potassium sorbate, peppermint, dried carrots and dried banana. Any advice, referral or other information is greatly appreciated. Lew Gumbiner PSU '80

Somerset County New Jersey

Lew, I apologize that extension wasn't able to respond with help for your situation in a timely manner. I encourage you to contact your local extension office in Somerset County NJ. I'm honestly not sure what department within Cooperative Extension would be best suited to respond.