dead rat in garden

Asked August 9, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

I found a rat carcas in my garden. It may have been there for a week at most and was a dried up mound of gray fur with a rat tail. I'm not sure if it died there or died elsewhere and was carried in by something. Are the surrounding vegetables safe to eat? The carcas was next to my basil plants and near my lettuce and carrots. If the rat had ingested poison, is there a chance it will leach into the soil?

Baltimore County Maryland

1 Response

Because you do not know what killed the rat, we really can't say. Vegetables about a foot away or farther from the carcass should be okay, but we'd recommend that you call the National Pesticide Information Center at 1-800-858-7378 and inquire about the breakdown of toxic ingredients if the rat was, in fact, poisoned.