Palm Trees

I live in Forest Grove and am planning on planting two 6 foot tall windmill palms. I found the trees at Farmington Nursery. They are very pricey. I read an article that said the best time to plant is in the fall and winter. I need to know what Outreach and extension thinks. fall and winter or spring.

Washington County Oregon planting trees horticulture

Thank you for your questions about when to plant Windmill Palms. To best protect
your investment, we do recommend planting in the fall. This will allow the tree to get sufficient water through our wet season and allows the roots to get firmly established. I've included a link to a publication that gives a lot of information
about planting trees in our area. It is lengthy, but the answer to your question
will be confirmed on Pg. 14. Thanks for contacting us!
https//catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/files/project/pdf/ec1438.pdf

Thank you so much for the information. I do have another question though. I am planning on using drip irrigation to ensure the Palm trees get enough water. But how should I set up the system. how many drips/ drops/gallons per hour. How much water is too much water.

Hello, I was reviewing the answer and did some additional research on specific recommendations for Palm tree transplanting. The resource provided to you is great for general recommendation for planting any new trees. However, the specific literature based on Palm transplanting research shows that ideal time for transplanting Palm trees in Mediterranean climate like ours is late spring-early summer (April-May). It provides a long warm period for root growth for successful establishment of palm trees (http://ucanr.edu/sites/UrbanHort/files/80077.pdf).

Now coming to your second question watering is critical especially during establishment phase and also to maintain good visual quality in subsequent years. Water an area at the base of the tree at least 5 times as wide as the diameter of the trunk and calibrate you drip irrigation system to saturate the soil to a depth of at least 3 feet. You can allow surface 2 inch soil to get dry between waterings (your irrigation frequency will depend on how quickly the soil dries up i.e. how hot the weather is).