tomatoe leaves turning yellow.

I noticed last week that my healthy tomato plants have some leaves that are turning yellow. I usually water with a soaker hose or with a hose only under the plants. I noticed too, that the Columbine have some sort of transparent tips to the leaves, which then dry up. Are these two different problems? The tomatoes are full of fruit. I hate to loose them.Thanks

Edmunds County South Dakota

You didn't mention if the leaves that are turning yellow start from the bottom of your plant. Tomatoes tend to get blights that often start near the bottom of the plant. You are wise to water under the plants, make sure they are mulched to prevent spore splash up from rain, and staked to promote good circulation. You can carefully remove the leaves making sure to sanitize you tools and dispose of leaves rather than composting them. Some general guidelines. 1) Water at the base of the plants, and in the morning rather than the evening, to minimize the amount of time that the leaves are wet. 2) Remove as much plant debris as possible in the fall and promptly plow under or bury the remaining residue. 3) Rotate crops so that tomatoes are grown in the same ground only every three or four years. 4) Avoid working with plants when foliage is wet to avoid spreading disease-causing microorganisms.

Check the following: Columbines do best in sun or light shade, and they prefer soil that stays somewhat moist, but drains well. Columbines generally begin blooming in early to mid-May and continue through June. Removing flowers as they fade helps prolong the bloom time. This procedure, known as dead-heading, keeps plants looking good and prevents the formation of seed pods. Plants tend to deteriorate over time especially if drainage is poor. Count on 3 years for most plantings. Some need to replace periodically. You might check for insects causing damage.