Land use advice

Who can help with crop land use Q.? We recently purchased 10 acres. 5 open(planted in soybeans last year) and 5 wooded Would like to raise blueberries or grapes.

New Castle County Delaware field crops soybeans fruits and vegetables blueberries land land use planning

If you are located in New Castle County I would recommend first calling the New Castle County Extension Office at (302) 831-2667. They will put you in touch with someone who can talk to you about land use. Phone numbers for the other Delaware Extension offices are 302-730-4000 for Kent Co. and 856-7303 for Sussex Co.

If you haven't done so already, I also recommend that you begin doing some reading about the two crops you are interested in growing. The Mid-Atlantic Berry Guide is a good place to start for blueberries. For grapes you could start with Penn State's Wine Grape Production Guide.

Kind regards,