asparagus bed soil

Two questions 1. What type of soil consistency do I need for a raised aspsrsgu and 2. Can I plant the asparagus bundles in the fall and cover with mulch over the winter or should I wail until spring?

Ramsey County Minnesota

Asparagus isn't too fussy about soil as long as it drains well. If you are creating a raised bed for asparagus and are adding a soil/compost mix to it, they should do quite well with that. Working well-rotted manure into the bed at planting time and annually thereafter provides asparagus with the nutrients it needs to grow well.

The general rule of thumb is to plant it in the spring while the crowns are still dormant. In Minnesota, April is generally a good time to plant asparagus. I would be concerned about planting in the fall because they plants may come out of dormancy right as winter is setting in, although, I could find nothing that specifically states that you should not plant in fall.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/growing-asparagus-in-minnesota-home-gardens/