Cicada damage?

For the past 15 years or so, my neighbor and I (that share a fence line) have completely lost seemingly healthy long standing plants from our yards. First my established Cecil Brunner rose bush turned brown and died. Then my neighbor just across the fence lost an established vine maple and lilac the same way. Then along the same line a couple years later exactly one half of a approximately 25 year old willow tree died. I never really noticed signs of stress in these plants. Now all of the redwoods in our area are turning brown in sections. This however is not so sudden. I've noticed them declining over the past 5 years. I've seen a Cicada in our yard recently and evidence of one a few years back, but that's all. I looked on line for answers but they talk about swarms of them every 17 years and this is not the case with me. Is there another possible explanation for our losses?

Yamhill County Oregon

You won't have damage like you described from cicadas. I suspect a soil born problem. Can you send a sample out for testing?