Rotting Squash on the vine

My squash plants produce several squashes. Then the plant flowers and starts new squash only to under- develop and then to rot on the vine. This happened to my zucchini squash for two consecutive years so I switched to straight neck yellow squash this year hoping it might stop the problem. I did get more squash this year but once again the problem reoccurred. What am I doing wrong?

Sussex County Delaware

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have Choanephora Fruit Rot. Unfortunately, when we have high humidity and wet conditions, it is ideal conditions for this disease to appear. Fungicides help, but will not totally control it. Removal of fruit from the plant as soon as you see it start is important. Rotation away from this area next year is important as spores can remain on debris and is a source of infection for next year. Spacing plants for good air circulation is important as well as reducing overhead watering will help. I have provided links to fact sheets with more information about the disease below.

Thank you so much for your response. Your diagnosis is completely correct as the links you provided show pictures that exactly match my problem. I will follow the recommendations and see if I see improvement. Thank you again.