I want to grow asparagus. I am thinking of making a 2x8 raised bed, 12"...

I want to grow asparagus. I am thinking of making a 2x8 raised bed, 12" tall. Can I start it now (Late July) and just keep it mulched over the winter for a potential spring harvest? I understand it take a couple years to be able to harvest them. What kind of soil would be best since I can dictate the exact soil content? Can I plant anything else in that bed over the summer months? Does asparagus continue to produce later in the summer? ( i see it in the St Paul farmers Market but not as much late) I have an area that is mulched and has olive trees and also blueberries growing along my house, I want to add the bed to that area. It gets pretty good southern sun and depending on the time of the year the east and west sun shines on it as well.

Ramsey County Minnesota asparagus

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/growing-asparagus-in-minnesota-home-gardens/ should answer most of your questions. No you cannot plant other things in the bed over summer since after July the asparagus will be a tall Fern area since it needs to rest in order to give you more shoots next year. Do not hesitate to ask more questions as they come up.