What can I plant in the Netherlands in late July?

I have some empty pots in my semi-shady back yard and I would like to try gardening for my first time. What can I plant in the Netherlands in late July near Amsterdam? Preferably something easy :) Justin

Outside United States shade gardening shade shady garden europe

You didn't mention the size of the pots but I just set one up with the following: Persian Shield (Strobilanthes Dyerianus) as the focal point. Shrub grown for foliage of shiny purple and green. Gets to be 18" to 36" tall and wide. Zone 9 so bring it in when temperatures are less than 65. For filler I have Purple Passion (Gynura aurantiaca) with fuzzy dark purple leaves, trailing habit, and Stetcreases "Variegata' which has striped purple leaves some of which trails and some up-right. This one has small pink blooms periodically.
In my garden I grow several varieties of Ligularia. My favorites are 'Britt Marie Crawford', 'Orthello", and 'The Rocket". All die down during the winter and can remain in the pots outside. They get to be 36" x 36" at maturity and blooms in mid-late Summer. You can plant daffodils around them to bloom in spring. The plate-size leaves will hide the dying daffodil leaves.
Hostas are numerous and have many leaf shapes, sizes, and colors. They bloom early Summer in either white or purple with a sweet scent.