I have an area in my garden in which nothing grows. Everything seems to die....

I have an area in my garden in which nothing grows. Everything seems to die. Lately, the calla lilies I bought were perfect, they were fed, watered and I used a home depot mix of manure and soil deep in the hole before they were planted. Weeds grow well but even flowers that normally take over yard don't survive. The calla lillies turned yellow shriveled up and died. One of my roses is now starting to turn yellow too.

Hennepin County Minnesota

If weeds grow well but other plants die could it be that they are being killed with too much care? Over watering causes leaves to turn yellow the same way too little water causes leaves to die. Weeds are tough and grow from a seed or runner into a full sized plant. Transplants have broken roots, have probably suffered from either too much or too little water at the plant store and must recover. They need time to recover, careful watering, and soil that isn't too rich. Was the manure well rotted? It may have been too fresh or too rich. Calla lilies can be a bit tricky to grow. In nature they grow in drainage ditches in full sun and a hot climate. Not something that is always reproducible here.