Eastern Red Bud Branches

I came home from work and noticed my healthy Eastern Red Bud had 1 large branch that split and the branch was on the ground. Upon further inspection another large branch is also severy split. Is it possible to save this tree it's only about 3-4 years old. Also why did this happen? Is it possible the weight of the branch was just to heavy or is my tree diseased?

Hartford County Connecticut trees and shrubs redbud trees native trees eastern redbud wildflwoers and native plants

The foliage on many plants grew especially lush this year because of the wet spring, creating branches weighed down with heavy foliage. This may be what pulled down the branch.
Also, both broken crotches seem to have some brown interior wood that looks somewhat diseased. There is no specific disease that you can cure, however.

Simply prune off the fallen branch as cleanly as you can, not leaving a stub.

The split trunk/branch is trickier. We can't see from the photo which half would be better to remove. We'd recommend that you remove the smaller of the two (the one on the right in the right photo?) Or, leave the one that is growing in the direction you want the plant to grow, i.e. fairly upright and not aiming into another limb.

See our website's publication on pruning before you start: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG84_Pruning%20ornam...