Green/Purple Beans

Hi - I planted three new varieties of beans this year. Two of which are called Dragon Tongue and Tongues of Fire. The other is a purple variety. With all the rain, the plants are the biggest I've ever seen plants get and they are all intertwining. It's all one big bean field and I thought I'd left enough room between rows. The middle row, the purple variety, doesn't have a single bean. I'm wondering if they aren't getting enough sunlight due to all these large leaves and I should thin some plants out of three rows?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Thank you for your question regarding your beans. Beans can lack in production due to there being too much nitrogen in the soil. A high level of nitrogen will cause an abundance of leaves and no vegetable formation. Lack of sun can also decrease vegetable formation.Being that you have two varieties of beans producing I do not believe either of these are your challenge. Different bean varieties have different growing durations. It is likely that the purple variety has a longer growing season than the other two. I pull recommend giving them a few more weeks to establish.