straggling vines Audubon Woodend trees Chevy Chase

I've noticed many trees in the Audubon Woodend Sanctuary in Chevy Chase. I'm a volunteer there and have asked what is being done about the spreading problem. Their solution is to pull and cut the vines. I expressed the concern that at this point a herbicide is necessary but was told they won't use herbicides. I've done my homework and seen that the federal, state, and county governments along with UM Extension has literature describing methods required to control the spread and all recommend hebicides for a problem as widespread as Woodend. I have given them the links to the literature I've referred to above but to no end. How can they be convinced they are losing the battle and will begin to lose trees, too.

Montgomery County Maryland invasive plants invasive

We share your frustration. The University as well as HGIC (extension outreach) is very sensitive to the issue of invasive plants. Please view our website for more information on invasive species and Ways You Can Help http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/problems/ways-you-can-help