a pill for drying out your goat

Is there a pill I can get for drying out my goat? It is extremely hot out so they need water, lots of foliage, I am uncomfortable just straw. Thanks. Linda Guthrie

Ray County Missouri

Unfortunately there is not a "pill" to dry up your goat. Lactation is controlled by hormones and the stimulation of milking or nursing. If you want to dry up a goat, simply reduce the amount of grain you are feeding her daily over several weeks and milk her once a day for a week, then every other day for a week, and so on until she is dry. The less demand there is for her to produce milk, the less she will produce over time. Be sure not to milk her completely out each time also, this will stimulate her to produce smaller quantities as the demand decreases. Continue to use good milking hygiene so she does not develop mastitis as you dry her up.