How to get a bat out of my bedroom

After I went to bed last night it was but a few minutes before I heard something odd. Grabbed my flashlight and there was this big brown bat flying in circles around my bedroom, having no where to get out. It was swooping down every so often, probably to miss the fan [which was not in motion]. Not wanting to stay with the bat, and knowing I wasn't going to get it out at that time, I got out of bed and ducked a couple times myself -- leaving the room and closing the the door behind me. > > This morning I went back into my bedroom to pick a couple items up while looking for the bat. Could not see the little creature, and there are numerous hiding places. I plan to go back into the bedroom and open the window and screen up wide, so hopefully tonight or sometime today the bat might fly out. [I have had other bats in my bedroom, yet usually they have been hanging on the screen in the window -- and it has been several years since the last one.] > > What do I really need to do ? Thank you! Sue

Grand Isle County Vermont human-wildlife issues bats

Hello Sue,

Visit the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department website for information – they have a special section for bats:

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/learn_more/living_with_wildlife/got_bats
Wildlife Services hotline: 1-800-4RABIES

You’ll find various resources including fact sheets, contact information and an FAQ. Here is an excerpt from the FAQ:

What should I do if a bat gets in my house?

Don’t panic. This is very common in the summer when young bats first learn to fly. We have detailed instructions for how to deal with “unwanted guests” in your living space in our Bats in Your House brochure. Bat Conservation International also has an excellent video available that can walk you through removing a bat from your house.

If you suspect a potential rabies exposure (see the rabies question) call the rabies hotline at 1-800-4RABIES, the Department of Health, or your physician. You MUST fill out an Incidental Take Form on our website within five days if the bat needs to be captured or killed and sent for rabies testing.