My house has developed a musty smell. I have not seen any mold except inside my garbage disposal when I cleaned it - gooey black stuff where I usually get just coffee grounds. I smell it mostly in the basement, but some throughout the house. (I have on the whole-house fan with my AC). I can air it out and get rid of the smell, but it comes back. It started when we had a week of cooler weather and I didn't turn on my AC, but enjoyed having the windows open. However, it was very humid. Now I can't get rid of that smell. Does this mean I have mold growing somewhere? And what do I do first? I am nervous about calling in a professional service as I'm afraid they will tell me I need a more expensive service than I really need. Thank you!
You can start by trying a dehumidifier in the basement. We don't really have expertise in mold though. You can contact the Maryland Department of the Environment for mold issues.