whiteflies

I never saw these things before - but they are all over my magnolia shrubs this week after they cut the wheat field across the street. What should I do? I don't want them to move to my garden. I was so happy my shrubs were doing so well this year after all the rain, they were mulched last year.

Kent County Delaware

I am not sure they are whiteflies. Please bring a sample into the cooperative extension office at the Paradee Center in Kent County. They will send the sample up with a courier. I need to be sure of the identification of the insect before I can properly comment. Also, you could try sending a picture; however, this does not always help. We have few issues with whiteflies in the landscape in Delaware, and I am unaware of whiteflies feeding on wheat. I do not think the cutting of wheat across the street had anything to do with the issue on your magnolia shrubs.