Chameleon plant problem

Hi, how can I combat this horrible weed/ground cover? I just learned about how bad & invasive it is. It has taken over my friend's garden where I live. I've been pulling it, but leaving the roots, so Ive probably made things worse! I cant dig up the whole garden & dont wish to kill all the lovely established flowers. But it's now mixed in with all the plants (see pic of it mixed in with iris). Are there any plants that deter it?

Baltimore County Maryland weeds chameleon plant

Yours is indeed a daunting task Chameleon plant is one of the most difficult weeds to eradicate. Whether you choose to attack it manually or chemically or both, it will probably require a long-term commitment on your part. As difficult as it sounds, your best bet is to thoroughly, but carefully, remove both the iris and chameleon plant entirely. Then divide your iris and set them aside for a while. The rhizomes will survive for some time if kept in a paper bag in a cool, dry environment. But, they could also be re-planted immediately after you remove as much of the chameleon roots and rhizomes as possible. Leave no portion of the weed behind.
LS
LS