Shamrock wilt

i have had approximately 8 indoor shamrock plants, lived for 15 - 20 years, longtime indoor plants..I have thinned , moved dirt around with new dirt..In the past I have had wilting from the brown dots on the stems, used homemade solution of dish detergent and water in spray bottle which I used to spray the stems, which worked..This time most of my shamrocks have wilted, but no visible mites or whatever the dots were.. I sprayed and didn't,t work..I cut them back, kept some water, not a lot and put in their places which is under indoor skylights..some are doing ok, coming back slowly. But I,d like to know what,s happening and what I should be doing to urge re growth

Wicomico County Maryland houseplants shamrock

It sounds like you have some kind of disease, possibly a crown rot. The chances of a chemical cure are very poor. Remove any affected portions. Repot in sterile soilless potting mixture. Be careful not to overwater. They can be fed with a dilute fertilizer during the growing season, March through August. Regrowth can be slow. vw

Thank you, but what is soilless potting soil?

Typically, potting soil that one would buy at a garden center consists of peat moss or coconut fibers and either vermiculite or perlite. There is no actual soil in the mix.
This ensures that there are no soil-borne fungi or pathogens in the mix,
LS

Thank you so much, that really makes sense. Good to have expert to ask..have a great day and be well, gay kern