I have wild grape growing on my stucco house. I have heard that it can cause...

I have wild grape growing on my stucco house. I have heard that it can cause havoc with overhangs. Should i get rid of it

Hennepin County Minnesota

Wild grape (Vitis riparia) is native to Minnesota and a very hardy and sometime aggressive vining plant. It attaches to other plants and structures by tendrils. It is sometimes confused with Virginia creeper and Boston ivy, two other fast-growing hardy vines.

If you want to keep the vine, just prune it back, so it is away from your eaves and is a manageable size.

If you want to kill it completely, cut it back to the base of the entire plant. Treat the trunk with an herbicide that is designed for woody brush. Read and follow the instructions on the label for application, frequency of application, storage and disposal. Be sure to also wear protective clothing as directed and to protect desirable plants nearby.

Here is some more Extension information on wild grape management: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/weed/broadleaf/vining/wildgrape.html