I have a small River Birch in my yard, planted in 2012. It is roughly 20'...

I have a small River Birch in my yard, planted in 2012. It is roughly 20' tall. High winds last night made the tree bend quite a bit. While it does seem to be recovering, I have always felt the tree was a bit top heavy. Should I trim it? When is the proper time for trimming birch trees? How much is too much, and where to begin? Thank you for your time, Deb

Anoka County Minnesota

I would leave it alone. Birch clumps do bend. If you really think it needs to be pruned the best time is late winter while they are still dormant. As the trunks grow they will become stronger. Here is a link about pruning. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/pruning-trees-shrubs/

Thank you Sherry. Just to clarify, when you say late winter, are we talking late February/early March?

When ever the tree is still dormant, such as not showing signs of breaking buds.