Is it OK to combine blueberries and strawberries to make jam?

I would like to combine blueberries and strawberries to make jam. Blueberries need acid added but strawberries do not. Can I use both together? Would I use the acid? Because the strawberries don't need the acid, would that be a problem? Thank you

Marion County Oregon food safety home food preservation

You did not say what kind of pectin you were using. MCP pectin has recipes for strawberry and blueberry jam and they both add lemon juice. It should not be a problem to combine the two and add the lemon juice. Should be a great combination. It certainly is not a safety issue. The texture of the jam might be a little different than if you use straight strawberry or blueberry.

If you have other food preservation/safety questions you might like to call the OSU Food Preservation/Safety Hotline which opens on Monday, July 13. The number is 1-800-354-7319. Certified Master Food Preservers will be available M-F from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. until October 16 to personally answer your call.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler