What is wrong with my peach tree?

yellow curling and dropping of leaves?

Hancock County Illinois trees and shrubs horticulture

Thank you for sending the picture to us at eXtension. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you...I've been on vacation and am currently supposed to be at my County Fair, and the system didn't forward your question to anyone.

The peach tree looks stressed. It does not appear to have an infectious foliar disease. This stress could be due to the extreme amount of rain we've had this year so far, coupled with the rapid onset of summer temperatures. I notice the grass comes right up to the base of the tree, so there's certainly some competition for nutrients and moisture. You might also want to check the base of the tree for any injuries from mowers or string trimmers, or from girdling caused by the plant tags.

If we go more than 7 or 10 days without rain, plan on watering the tree. Moisten the ground 3 feet in all directions from the trunk, applying 1/2 gallon of water per square foot per week.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.