Adelgid

How do I eradicate adelgid from hemlock trees? How effective is the s. tsugae beetle?

York County Pennsylvania

Here is some advice for homeowners from the National Park Service.
Should homeowners use biocontrol beetles? According to Forestry Technician Jesse Webster, no. “The best, most effective [and] economical control of hemlock woolly adelgids,” he said, is “systemic treatment [such as soil drenching], not biological control with beetles.” Beetles work best in a huge forested landscape, because they work over several years as the beetle population grows and establishes itself. The most cost-efficient treatment for most homeowners is soil-drenching with chemicals available at most hardware or garden supply stores, or from a private tree-treatment company.

NPS Profile: The beetle vs. the adelgid

I asked the ranger from our conservation district about my hemlocks, and he recommended a soil drench with a product called Safari. I noticed that the tsugae beetle is still in the testing stage at several universities and natural resources conservancies.