When is the best time to plant daikon and bok choy?

When is the best time to plant daikon and bok choy for a fall harvest in St. Paul? I was thinking I would plant them this week, but I'm worried. I planted both last May, and they bolted by mid-June.

Ramsey County Minnesota planting dates vegetable gardening

Thank you for the question. Both daikon radish and bok choy prefer cool moist conditions to mature with the least chance of bolting. Some varieties are more prone to bolting than others so read seed packets carefully for timing suggestions.

Daikon varieties take around 60 days to mature. The average first frost for Ramsey County is between the end of September and first week of October, so you should plant them by mid July to try to ensure they mature before hard frost.

Bok Choy is a vegetable from the cabbage family and requires about 3 months to mature before first frost so you should probably get them planted now, especially if you are planting from seed. If you are planting plants, you can subtract about 3 weeks from the maturation time.

Thank you for contacting Extension.