pests!

I have what I feel to be a larger garden (at least 15 ft by 30 ft). I've been having issues of slugs eating my strawberries and now they are eating my radishes. Ants are attacking the radishes as well (only ones that have started to split). I also have green worms eating my Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower. I've also seen a similar-looking little green worm (just one so far) on my strawberries. I hand pick twice a day most days on my 25 plus plants. I'm leaving my home for five days and am concerned the pests will take over. Beer in stainless steel bowls works for attracting and killing the slugs mostly, but I need something for my cabbages. Also last year when I left for vacation I came back to blight taking over my entire tomato crop. What should i do organically to protect my garden while I'm gone? Please note that the main original purpose of my gardening is to help reduce the cost of groceries so cost efficient ideas are ideal.

Ingham County Michigan

it sounds as if you may be having a problem with cabbage loopers or cabbage moth larvae in your garden.An application of a product containing B.t. (Bacillus thuringiensis) will control larvae as long as they are small. Two examples of such products are Thuricide and Safer Brand 5163 Caterpillar Killer. There are others available, these are just examples. If the 'little green worm" on the strawberry is actually causing feeding damage and is a caterpillar, it could also be controlled with B.t. Cutworms and armyworms sometimes cause injury to strawberries.

for more information about tomato diseases and how to manage them, go to http://migarden.msu.edu/uploads/files/E3170_-_Tomato_Diseases_in_the_Home_Garden.pdf