split peach tree branch

a too heavy crop of peaches cause side branch from main trunk to split horizontally . another branch from the side branch is still good. I want to save the other branch that has peaches on it. . If I cut the branch just ahead of the split, What would it take to close and secure the split , so the other good branch survives?

Lubbock County Texas fruit trees peach trees

The key here will be to prune off the damaged branch in such a way as to minimize the size of the resulting wound. The larger the wound, the more difficult it will be for the tree to recover. Other than that, there is not too much else that can be done. Pruning sealers and paint actually slow the tree's recovery response, so they are not recommended. Keep the tree well watered so there is not any additional stress. In future years, thinning the fruit crop early on will help reduce the load on the branches and still leave plenty of fruit for harvest.