a pest

For the past few weeks, on my kitchen counters, I have noticed tiny bugs. Less than 1/2 the size of a head of a pin. They are a dark color. A couple of times I have tried to kill them, and they hopped away. At least that's the way it looked to me. I cannot tolerate anything on my counter tops, where I prepare food, and they are too tiny to catch. However, I have used Scotch tape to trap them, and I have a couple of samples. Can I send the samples to you, and if so, how would you suggest I send them? (They may get crushed if I just put the pieces of Scotch tape in the envelope. Please help. Thanks.

Prince George's County Maryland pest pest id possible springtails

We do not accept insect samples. You can send us digital photos. Put a ruler next to the insects for size.
It is possible that you may be dealing with springtails because this insect has a fored rear appendage that enables them to jump. Springtails feed on mold spores, decaying organic matter, pollen, etc. and may be found in areas with high humidity. The insects can also come in on stored grain products. See our website for more information. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/springtails
If this is what you are dealing with, reduce humidity levels and check your pantry/stored products for jumping insects.