10-15 foot Blue Spruce Trees. 1. Can we fertilize early July?? or wait til...
10-15 foot Blue Spruce Trees. 1. Can we fertilize early July?? or wait til fall. 2. Is it best to fertilize in spring?
Ramsey County Minnesota spruce trees
We don't recommend fertilizing trees unless a soil test shows the need. Please read this publication and consider the things listed below before doing so
- Never fertilize newly planted trees, only established trees
- Evergreen trees require even less fertilization than deciduous trees- test your soil every 5 years to determine need
- Never fertilize insect or disease infested or stressed trees
- Never fertilize after new leaves have emerged in spring or before hardening in fall
- Use the lowest rate of recommended Nitrogen and never put in the back fill or leaves may burn
- All fertilizers are salts so a slow release fertilizer would be best
- Fertilizing results in top growth at the expense of root growth
- fertilizing prohibits plants from taking up water so watering would need to be done with extra care