Oak Tree BLight

I have a 30'+/- tall pin/red oak, which has developed over the past two years a rust on the leaves, along with some blistering and dying lower leaves. It also has a lime color to it rather than a more vibrant green. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

Montgomery County Maryland

This sounds like the classic symptoms of bacterial leaf scorch. Please read over our website information on this disease: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/bacterial-leaf-scorch-trees

Oh wow! You hit the nail on the hear, unfortunately. Will get lower limbs trimmed ASAP and see if a combo. of feedings and a systemic pesticide might help. I think you should relay this info. to the Montgomery County Arborist who looked at this last Fall (2014) and recommended pruning as the cure. Thanks for the prompt & accurate diagnosis. I guess oaks are not as mighty as thought. Best, bill

This is a relatively new problem with oaks, and it's sad to see. It would be great if you want to forward this to your arborist.

Will do. Have a great summer. bill