LOW MAINTENANCE GRASS

Dear Expert, I have a small area behind my home which at this time has been excavated and backfilled with a rough grade of native clay soil. I would like to plant a low profile grass that needs as little maintenance as possible. I expect to put a layer of about 3-4 inches of top soil cover and then plant some grass. The area is on the south side of my home. I might even consider putting down rolled sod. I have several small dogs which will need to use this area, but because of age and other responsibilities I need to have as little extra work as possible. This area is about 10' x 40' which for these small dogs will be fenced. Your advice for this grass application would be most helpful. Sincerely, Herb 100% disabled service connected veteran

Douglas County Oregon lawns and turf plant selection horticulture

The low profile grasses that have been tested in this area include Red Fescue, and Covar sheep fescue for turf. The Covar sheep fescue might be a little hard to find. I would check with the DC Coop to see if they can get it. The Red Fescue is easier to find and the DC Coop should carry it. The DC Coop has a turf grass blend that is a mixture of Red Fescue, Hard Fescue, and Perennial ryegrass. This would need more mowing than you want to do. The Covar sheep fescue only needs mowing once or twice a year when watered, once it is established. It does take a month or more to establish. The Red Fescue will need mowing once a month in summer. Both of these species are drought hardy and disease hardy.