Linden tree with thinning canopy and a few dead branches

I have a linden tree in my front yard that is 7 years old. It's been a great tree, good shape, always full canopy, strong features. This year, only a few branches have a full canopy. about 80% of the tree's leaves are half the size if that. There are several branches that did not bud at all. We did have a couple colder days in the spring when the tree was budding. I don't know if the damage was done by the frost. Also, there are several Linden's in the neighborhood that have no leaves and appear dead. I hope ours is not dying because it's a great tree in our front yard. Nothing seems to be unusual down by the base or the bark. However, the bark in some spots appears brittle. Any ideas? If it is a result of a hard spring frost, will the tree come back next year? Any remedies like miracle grow?

Lake County Illinois urban forestry linden tree

Hello caller,

My apologies for an earlier response in which I confused the reference number.

In your area, I refer you to an article written at Morton Arboretum pertaining to winter injury of trees and shrubs. From our experience in Pennsylvania, this may also be part of your tree's difficulties this spring. the Morton Arboretum article can be found at the link http://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/winter-injury-trees-an...

Scott A Sjolander

Urban Forestry Extension Associate

Penn State Extension in Crawford

13400 Dunham Rd, Suite A

Meadville PA 16335

Phone 814-333-7440

Fax 814-333-1590

Cell 814-282-0865

Hello caller,

I see your question is from Texas, and found several experts near you.

Due to the nature of your question, as well as its proximity, I find others more able than me.

I asked them to have a look a couple days ago.

Thanks very much for your patience.

Scott

Scott A. Sjolander,

International Society of Arboriculture BCMA #MW0105BU

TRAQ Qualified

Society of American Foresters CF #489

Penn State Cooperative Extension in Crawford

13400 Dunham Rd. Suite A

Meadville PA 16335

Phone 814-333-7440

Fax 814-333-1590

Cell 814-282-0865