snow crown cauliflower

regards:

I just cut a head of cauliflower and the stems of the florets have a purple color to them.

This is the first time I have tried to grow this type of plant in my home garden. I was wondering is this head of cauliflower ok to use and if not what did I do wrong?

Thank You

Glenn d Kelchner

Carbon County Pennsylvania

Hello Glenn, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

Cauliflower is a cool weather crop which doe best in lower temperatures of spring and fall. Cauliflower naturally has a range of colors, including purple, red, or blue tints. This is caused by a naturally occurring pigment which is stimulated by warm temperatures and sunlight. The pigment is harmless, but in large quantities it may impart a bitter taste.

For information on cultivating cauliflower including keeping it purple free go to http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-cauliflower/

Need additional help with a gardening question?

Carbon County Penn State Master Gardener's will be available at the Carbon County Extension Office on Tuesday's from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon beginning March 31, 2015 to answer home gardening questions. They can be reached at 570-325-2788 or email CARBON-MASTER-GARDENERS-L@LISTS.PSU.EDU. Please include your full name, mailing address, phone number and e-mail address, along with a detailed message.

Carbon County Penn State Extension Office
Address:
529 Lentz Trail, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229
Phone: 570-325-2788
E-mail: CarbonExt@psu.edu
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Closed 12:00 to 1:00PM