Apple Tree Suckers

How do I get rid of apple tree suckers? I had an old apple tree cut down more than four months ago. Now I am seeing suckers sprout up all over my yard. The remedies I have read about on the internet say to apply herbicide immediately after the tree is cut. My yard is approximately 30' by 60' and probably has thirty suckers shooting up from roots. Is there an herbicide I can use now? If I keep snipping off the suckers will they eventually stop coming up?

Washington County Oregon

The easiest, safest way to eliminate suckers that come up after a tree has been cut down is to simply cut them off at ground level when they are small. There is a certain amount of energy stored in the roots of the tree you removed, but pushing up shoots uses up that energy, and if you cut off the shoots before they have time to "recharge" the original energy, the energy will be depleted in a couple of years, and shoots will stop coming up. Pesticide use is generally not recommended, as manual cutting is more efficient, is just about as quick, and you don't run the risk of damaging other plants in your yard or the neighbors' with potential overspray.