Why can't I grow flowers under my cedar trees?

I have a flower garden that is situated between two large cedar trees. I have tried a variety of plants over several years and cannot get things to grow. There are a couple of small shrubs that have always been there that neither grow much nor die. I also have had success with a few day lilies. Last year I dug the entire garden out several inches down and found many many small roots that I'm assuming belong to the cedars. I replaced all the soil with new soil and still cannot get things to grow. Maybe it is not possible to get things to grow in this environment.

Carlton County Minnesota

It's sometimes difficult to grow annuals, perennials, and shrubs under trees. The trees get most of the available light, moisture, and nutrients. Although it's difficult, it's not impossible. Information at the following website may be useful: Planting Under Trees