My lovely large (3 1/2 feet diameter) elm tree is rapidly losing its leaves,...

My lovely large (3 1/2 feet diameter) elm tree is rapidly losing its leaves, dried up and that floating down to the ground. It's possible that I have lost some leaves in the past but never in such quantity and it always looked generally healthy. Looking up the disease, it is unequivocally Dutch Elm disease. My question is whether there is any utility in fungicide injections at this point? The tree, if you don't look carefully at the leaves, still looks healthy from a distance but obviously is systemically infected, involving more than just the crown (attachment) If there is merit to injections at this point, do you recommend macro or micro injections, and is there a list of reputable injection providers? Thank you very much. John

Ramsey County Minnesota

Anthracnose, possibly supported by frost. The precipitation we've been experiencing provides a ripe environment for infection from anthracnose-causing pathogens.

Message From DNR Forest Health Specialists:

1. Don't worry.
  2. This leaf drop is probably the result of anthracnose (a leaf fungal disease), possibly coupled with minor frost damage.
  3. This sudden leaf drop in spring is not unheard of.
  4. Ash and elm trees will re-leaf this year and they won't be too stressed as long as we continue to get adequate precipitation.

Wonderful news; thank you so much!.
Was just getting past the grieving stage..

And such rapid response. Very much appreciated.