Re: Home Garden I have a mature maple tree in my back yard and noticed that...

Re: Home Garden I have a mature maple tree in my back yard and noticed that it appears to have a somewhat narrow oval hole about a foot and a half from the ground. The hole is about ten inches high and appears to be weeping a rust-colored liquid material. I showed my neighbor, who is a Master Gardener, and she suggested I contact you. She suspects something is living in there. The canopy of the tree appears to be green and healthy, but I don't like the look of this. Thank you,

Kent County Maryland

We can't say what the problem is without more information.

First, look at the information on our website about slime flux, which can occur on large shade trees: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/shade-trees-slime-flux-and-wetwood If you tree looks perfectly healthy except for the bleeding, then it is likely that it just has some slime flux which is not harmful. You are welcome to send us digital photos of the tree, around its base, and the bleeding trunk in a reply to this email.