Sick plants

I just moved here two months ago - bad clay dirt. Built raised beds, filled with planting mix from "The Bark Place" Planted. My tomatoes have yellow leaves, as do my cukes, and beans. They get regular water, the tomatoes have small tomatoes. I have another bed in another part of the garden, I have a tomato in that - doing quite well - same dirt. I don't know what to do. Raejean Carter

Benton County Oregon horticulture soil and fertility issues

My daughter's garden looks the same. Her planting mix seems to have lots of bark and little in the way of nutrients, so that is what is turning her plants yellow and susceptible to disease and bugs. I would suggest a good all-purpose fertilizer to get these vegetables jump started; or organic fertilizer and compost (organic works more slowly but improves the soil). You can test the soil at the Extension office (4077 SW Research Way, Corvallis) to see what specific nutrients or mineral are lacking - or just fertilize to see if that helps.

Thank you for the quick response. I try to be organic - had organic dirt supplier in Eugene, but couldn't find it in Corvallis. Where so I find Organic fertilizer and compost?

There are several companies that package organic fertilizer, soil additives and compost; at the feed stores, garden centers, Bi Mart, etc. Check with a local nursery to see what they carry and where they get their supplies.